Friday, October 17, 2008

Drivers Licence

I went in today to renew my driver's licence. I left about a half hour later angry and without a licence.

Turns out that if you are renewing your licence, you must have an original birth certificate, and social security card. I had brought an origial social card, and certified copies of my passport, adoption papers, and tax records.

I guess that those four things plus my valid drivers licence was not enough to prove my citezenship. Thats really stupid.

Not making a huge deal of it, but the guy working the counter had horrible english.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is some serious bull shit. I would have spoken to a supervisor.

James T Wood said...

I don't remember the exact law, but I do remember seeing the signs up when I went to renew 2 weeks before the law went into effect. I was pretty happy that I didn't have to deal with it this time around.

I think if you have your actual passport that should be sufficient.

Tim said...

I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. Just a passport and SS card. Lame. That's just them getting revenge for us trying to keep illegal immigrants from having driver's licenses.

James T Wood said...

I was at the DMV today and I checked it out - a passport will work in lieu of a birth certificate.

rich jandt said...

I have lost my passport durring my past few years of constant moving. Even my noterized certified copy was not good enough.

I thought I had lost my birth certificate along with it, but my mom called me today and said that she still has it, so next week I will be able to get a new licence.

I looked further into it, and Oregon is being forced by the federal government to make sure they only give licenses to citezens. I guess we have been very bad about giving illeagals paper work that makes it look like they are citezens

Mang said...

ahem it is... Citizens