Friday, November 14, 2008

Guns

The second amendment is one of the most hotly contested issues in current American politics.


It reads "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."


When the amendment was written it was a very different time. The British government had made it an offence for people in America to organize into militias, in the attempt to make it harder for the people to rebel.


There has been many discussions as to what the original text was supposed to mean. Some say it is the foundation of the National Guard, and nothing else. Some say it is meant for an individual to own weapons. I even have a co-worker who claims that the second amendment guarantees that every citizen has the right to own any weapon they choose, even fully automatic weapons and explosives.


I have a feeling that the origional purpose of the amendement was to keep the people in control of the government, not the other way around. Jefferson wrote that "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." He also thought that the constitution should be rewritten every 19 years.


What do you think?

1 comment:

Mike Lewis said...

I think it gives you the right to protect yourself within reason. I think if criminals knew that there might be an armed citizen, they would take at least a second thought before robbing someone. I don't have a problem with a person under an extra sensitive background check owning a fully automatic gun. It's the criminal world getting hold of those that I have a problem with.

My friend has a conceal carry permit and he does. I will sit near him if a lunatic breaks into a worship service so he can protect me.