Monday, August 11, 2008

Religion and Politics.

I recently read Dune by Frank Herbert and have a few comments that I think are relevant to both subjects. Maybe it should be 2 blogs…?

I do not know the religion of Mr. Herbert however the scene he has set in Dune is very reminiscent of what I see in the Middle East.

Here are a people, who live in a desert, who rely on water, and see their own environment to be hostile and non productive. However there are people who invade their land and take it to mine a commodity that is used to expand and fuel their empire. Is this not a description of both Dune and The Middle East?

One great quote from Dune that I hope I am not messing up was “When Religion and Politics ride in the same wagon, the people are blind. They do not see the precipice until it is too late.” I see that as a possible horrible future in America, and a horrible reality in the Middle East.

I think that ruling any country through the guise of a religion would be wrong. It did not work in the Bible. It did not work out for the Romans, or the Mayans, or the Taliban. I do not think that a Christian Government in the US is a good idea either. As much as I hate to admit it, Obama’s statement about multiplicity in Christianity would have severe destructive consequences on both Religion and Politics.

No comments: