Friday, April 11, 2008

Blueberry beer.

I recently tried a new bottled beer at work. The name of this “beer” Blue Dawg Brewing's Bold Blueberry Lager. It was blueberry flavored, 8% alcohol, and had a picture of a bulldog kicking a blueberry on the label.

I hated it. Horrible candy like flavoring. I had a stomach ache. The worst part, when I poured it into a pint, it was purple. I knew better but everyone else was trying it. I hate fruit flavored beers, with one exception, Ruby Ale from McMenamins.

It could be that I’m biased, having worked for the brothers for four years now, but I doubt it. It is an unfiltered wheat ale; each batch is infused with 32 pounds of fresh raspberries. It has a little malty sweetness, no hop character, and is very refreshing. That being said, I rarely drink it. It has a reputation as a beer for girls and frat boys and I just do not need that rep right now.

2 comments:

James T Wood said...

So, you're trying to shake that reputation? Understandable.

I generally try to avoid the fruity beers. I do enjoy some Ruby Red on occasion. I've also found myself liking the Pyramid Apricot Hefeweizen (pretty much it doesn't need lemon - it's not a strong fruit flavor) on occasion.

Hops are a fruit, right?

Tim said...

I've had pumpkin ale before. That's pretty good.