Thursday, April 3, 2008

God's little plan

I often think about what God wants from me.

I think I have the basics down, love God, Love my neighbor, do not forsake the assembly. But what else is there?

I guess this is really a two part question, the first being what are the issues in the Bible that are key to my salvation? The second is what specific actions do I need to do?

The day of my conversion, I had a dream. I was standing before the throne, God was telling me something… and all I remember is saying “Yes I will do that.” I have been waiting for years and God hasn’t come down and told me yet what he wants. I’ve asked, prayed, fasted, casted lots, and yet still to this day I do not have a clear calling.

What are our salvation issues? What do we need to live in our lives? What do we need to teach? What do we need to produce? There are a lot of parables in the Bible about producing fruit, and being part of the vine, but what the crap does that mean? I’m not looking for the cookie cutter answers I got in Sunday School, or the preset answers I heard in college about going to church, or acting this way or that way.

Just the basic how do I attain a relationship with God? How do I experience him in a meaningful way? I only ask because I can’t find God in those places I learned about in school. I can’t find him in my local Coc. I didn’t find him at any Church here in Bend. The best Church experience I’ve had so far was Imago church in P-town. I see God in nature, I see God in Science I don’t understand. I see God in personal relationships I have with my friends. I even see God in food and beer.

What do you feel you need to do? What are your salvation issues?

1 comment:

James T Wood said...

I was thinking about the story of Job where he asked God all these questions about the meaning of his life and suffering and crap. God doesn't ever give him a straight answer, but in the end Job says that previously he had heard about God, but now he had experienced God's presence.

I think that's where it's at. Finding experiences of God change the way it all works. I also remember in the gospel of John where Jesus basically says: "Hey, if you don't believe what I'm saying just try to put it into practice for a while, then you'll experience God and he will vouch for me ('cause he's got my back, yo)."

Word: lhubb (that's my new rapper name)