Saturday, May 3, 2008

Home sweet home.

I want to ask your opinion on something.

Buying a house, is it a good idea?

I know if I could out-right buy one I would be better off, but what about the 30+ years of inflation laden interest I would have to endure? I have something of an experiment I am wanting to try, where I am going to buy a travel trailer and live it, parking it in a RV park. Costs would be way down, and I could save more for a down payment for a real house.

Pros I see in this is that moving would be real easy, just move. I wouldn't have to rely on other people to uphold their ends of leases. I could save gangsta money living in something I own and just paying 300 bucks for power and space rental.

Cons are no girls will ever date me. I would live in a travel trailer. I do get lonely living alone and being in a small trailer would probably increase that. Also no girls would date me.

2 comments:

James T Wood said...

A home is a good investment (even with the market like it is right now) - over time real estate will almost always increase in value. I'm a fan of Dave Ramsey's plan to buy a house with 20% down on a 15 year fixed rate mortgage that has a monthly payment that is no more than 25% of your monthly take-home pay.

It sucks because then it will be difficult to get very much house, but with that plan we will basically never be in danger of defaulting on our mortgage. We will not put near as much money into interest. And we will put ourselves in position to sell and upgrade to a bigger house in a shorter time frame.

RV's don't have to suck - maybe if you find a girl who likes the outdoors and stuff she would want to date you - of course she would be a dirty hippie who didn't shave her pits, but you have to make sacrifices.

Anonymous said...

Also, if you get a fixed rate mortgage loan, your rate doesn't ever change (unless you refinance). We owned a house in Houston and made some money off it - so that worked out for us.